November 2, 2012

Biscoff Granola Bars

Biscoff. It's something I've read about on food blogs for a long time but hadn't jumped on the bandwagon. Then I saw several recipes I couldn't pass up, so I went on the hunt for biscoff. This stuff is as freaken addictive as nutella, so I'm glad I held off this long before jumping into the craze because I don't trust myself with biscoff.

If you've never had biscoff, chances are you probably would recognize the flavor as soon as you sampled it. For as advanced as their society's are, Europeans just don't embrace peanut butter. When I studied in Spain, I discovered this the hard way. Biscoff is their alternative, along with nutella varietals.

The original recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod called for biscoff cookies in the mix, which I'm sure would be great. I omitted them because I didn't have them in my cupboard. Here's my version:


Biscoff Granola Bars
2 Tbsp. butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup biscoff
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups quick oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Cut out an 8 x 8-inch square of parchment paper. Place the parchment paper in the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. In a large sauce pan, add butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and biscoff. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture starts to bubble. Once bubbling, cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla extract.

Stir in the oats and crispy cereal well coated. Pour into the prepared pan. Press the mixture evenly into the pan. Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips over the top, and gently press into the granola bars with your hands.

Place the bars in the refrigerator, and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting. Cut into 10 bars. Store the bars in the refrigerator to maintain freshness longer. Makes 10 bars.

No comments: