November 27, 2012

Apple Jam

I'd never contemplated jamming apples because I always think of applesauce or apple butter. But, I found a recipe from my Food in Jars cookbook, so I decided to make a batch with some of my plethora of apples from my parents' farm. This is a great way to use apples that are past their prime for eating fresh.


Honey Lemon Apple Jam
6 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
Zest and juice of 4 lemons
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup honey

Combine chopped apples and lemon juice in a large pot. Bring to the very barest of simmers over medium heat, and then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook the apples down to a chunky sauce, stirring frequently, until they can be smashed with the back of a wooden spoon. This takes about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the age of your apples. Once apples are soft, smash them with a potato masher.

Add sugar and honey. Increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer. The jam will splatter, so be careful. Cook 10 minutes until jam is thick and sticky looking. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon zest. Ladle jam into prepared pint jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe the rims, apply sterilized lids and rings, and process in a boiling water bath for  10 minutes. Makes about 3 pints.

No comments: