July 20, 2012

Soy & Cola-Braised Pork Shoulder

Last October when I got my Cooking Light magazine, I determined I needed a Dutch oven. That's because there were several roast recipes that looked delicious. I purchased a Dutch oven, but this week was the first time I made one  of the recipes that inspired me to buy the Dutch oven in the first place.

I opted to put this pork into homemade tortillas topped with matchstick carrots and cucumbers along with a sprinkling of chives. This is a delicious recipe that will be repeated in our home. It would also be great on buns.

Here's the recipe with my modifications.

Soy & Cola-Braised Pork Shoulder
1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil
3 1/2-lb. bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups Coca-Cola
1/2 cup teriyaki marinade
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup. soy sauce


Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pa. Sprinkle pork evenly with salt. Add pork to the Dutch oven. Saute for 8 minutes, turning to brown each side.

Remove pork from Dutch oven. Add ginger and garlic. Saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil. Return pork to the pan, and cover.

Bake for 1 hour 50 minutes. Remove pork from pan, and let stand 10 minutes. Skim fat from cooking liquid, and then place Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Bring liquid to a boil, and cook until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.

Shred pork, and return pork to the sauce. Toss to coat. Serve as desired. Serves 10.

No comments: