April 11, 2012

English Muffin Bread

My husband loves English muffins. He's even left me a note saying, "True love sometimes comes in the form of a 6-pack of English muffins left in the fridge for my breakfast."

Although I've made and thoroughly enjoy homemade English muffins, they are a bit time consuming considering you can buy a package for less than $1 at the store. I've also made English muffin bread, but to be honest, I'd forgotten about that recipe until I just searched my blog as I was typing this post.

So, when I came across Brown Eyed Baker's recipe for English Muffin Bread, it was immediately bookmarked. It came together super fast, so we'll see how much my husband loves me for this loaf of bread.


English Muffin Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp.salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp.instant yeast
1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
Cornmeal, to sprinkle in pan

Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl. Combine the milk, water, and oil in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120°F and 130°F. Be sure to stir the liquid well before measuring its temperature as you want an accurate reading. Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Beat at high speed for 1 minute. (The dough will be very soft.)

Lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal. Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible. Spray a piece of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray, cover the dough, and let the dough rise until it’s just barely crowned over the rim of the pan, no more than 1/4-inch over the rim. This will take about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F. Remove the plastic wrap, and bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, until it’s golden brown and its interior temperature is 190°F. Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing. Makes 1 loaf.

No comments: