March 7, 2012

Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

Lately I've been sifting through food blogs, as if I don't already have enough recipes that are tempting me. I came across a peanut butter sandwich cookie recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod that looked particularly enticing.

I debated making only half a batch because my husband and I don't need a full batch of cookies. Then I seriously considered making a half batch of the cookies and a full batch of the filling. I figured I'd liberally fill the sandwich cookies and enjoy the rest of the filling as a mid-afternoon snack. Ultimately, though, I made a full batch. I've already eaten two (sandwich cookies, which would mean four cookies total, but it's only two cookies).

Perhaps I should change my strategy: eat half the batch, and pretend I only made a half batch. Hmm ....


Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Cookies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup quick-cooking oats
Filling
3 Tbsp. salted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 Tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, peanut butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Finally, add the oats and mix until just combined.

Take about 1 Tbsp. of dough and roll into a cookie ball. Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly golden and the edges are set. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

While the cookies are cooling, make the filling. Combine the butter, peanut butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until smooth. Add the heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy. Using a knife, spread peanut butter filling onto the flat side of a cookie. Find a cookie the same size and sandwich the cookies together, pressing the filling to the edges.