October 11, 2010

Amish Apple Grunt

Hmm ... my boss just told me last week that I'm Amish because of the amount of baking and canning I do. (He also said I was the oldest 25-year-old he knows, which must be because I'm really 27.) Anyways, it only seems appropriate that I made this dessert with some of my fall apples. I think I might have overdid the apples since I didn't measure, but it was still tasty. Not my favorite dessert but worth repeating.

Amish Apple Grunt
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups apples, peeled and sliced
6 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Cream sugar and butter together. Add egg, and mix well. Add flour, salt, baking powder, milk and vanilla. Mix all together. Add apple slices, and pour batter into a greased 8 x 8 pan.

Combine the remaining ingredients (brown sugar through butter) together until it forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm. Makes approximately 6 servings.

No comments: