March 5, 2020

Cauliflower Risotto

If it weren't Lent, with the need to avoid meat on Fridays, I'm not certain I would have tried this cauliflower risotto recipe from How Sweet Eats. I'm so glad I did because it was a perfect meal for me to enjoy with a glass of wine left over from the recipe. I'm also glad I enjoyed it as much as I did because the rest of my family turned up their noses. In fact, AJ walked into the house after school, gagged and asked what that smell was.

This reheats wonderfully for lunches and feels at least a bit healthy because of all the cauliflower. I adapted the recipe slightly, knowing that the Brie in the original recipe wouldn't fly with my family. This is worth repeating, Lent or not.

Cauliflower Risotto
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 sweet onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 head cauliflower, chopped into small florets
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary or 1/2 Tbsp. dried rosemary
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup hot water
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350­°F. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-low heat. Melt the butter, and add the onions. Cook 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic, and cook 2 more minutes. Add the cauliflower, and cook until the florets are golden and toasty, about 8 minutes. Stir in the rice and rosemary. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until the rice is translucent. Add in the stock, wine, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Place in the oven, and cook 35 to 40 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. If the rice is too chewy, add another 1/2 cup of liquid and cook another 10 minutes or so. Remove from the oven, stir in the hot water and the cheese. Sprinkle with extra cheese, and serve, preferably with a glass of the leftover wine. Makes 4 to 6 servings as an entree.

No comments: