December 20, 2019

Double Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies

These cookies are delicious. I've long appreciated the chocolate and mint combination, but in the past decade peanut butter and chocolate has always won with my taste buds. But my son is in love with mint and chocolate, so these cookies from SprinkleBakes caught my eye. I added them to my Christmas cookie list and made a double batch.

Then I proceeded to justify not adding them to all my cookie trays because I didn't want everything else on the platter to be overwhelmed by mint flavor. If I'm being honest, I was looking for reasons to keep these cookies stashed in my garage (which is the Wisconsin winter standard storage spot to keep things fresh). I made them a week ago, and today my son is finally getting his first whole cookie.

These are amazing when they're warm and gooey, just like any good chocolate chip cookie. But they hold up very well, and I'll continue to validate that likely every day until they're gone. They still are chewy in the middle, almost with a brownie-like texture.

I will absolutely make these again.


Double Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups mint and chocolate baking chips, divided

Beat butter and sugar on medium high until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well, and then add the vanilla.

Combine the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, mixing only until well combined. Stir in 2 cups of chocolate and mint chips.

Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes to make it less sticky. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F, and line baking sheets with silipats or parchment paper.

Shape the dough into 2-inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake 5 minutes, and remove from the oven. Press a few chips into the top of each cookie. (This just makes them pretty. You could skip this step and mix all the chips into the cookies if you wanted.) Bake 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from the oven, and let cool on the sheets at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Note: I couldn't find a mix of mint and chocolate baking chips, so I bought separate bags, which worked perfectly for the double batch. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

No comments: