October 13, 2016

Garlicky Kohlrabi Relish

My family occasionally had kohlrabi growing up, and my parents planted a huge variety this year. (As in huge kohlrabi ... not many different types of kohlrabi.) I was hoping to score one of theirs when I found this recipe from Food in Jars. Their kohlrabi were all eaten, but I snagged a few at the farmers' market for this relish.

I haven't opened a jar yet, but I'm excited to try it. I always enjoy finding new unique recipes to try each year.

Garlicky Kohlrabi Relish
4 lbs. kohlrabi
3 cups apple cider vinegar
5 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 Tbsp. sea salt
1 Tbsp. crushed black pepper

Prepare a boiling water bath canner and four pint jars. Shred the kohlrabi using the grating disc of your food processor or a box grater. You should have about ten cups of grated kohlrabi.

In a large, non-reactive pot, combine all ingredients. Set over high heat, and bring the contents of the pot to a boil. Once the liquid boils, cook for 3-4 minutes, until the kohlrabi slumps a little and release some of its liquid.

Using tongs, pack the kohlrabi into the prepared jars, and ladle the liquid over to cover, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Use a chopstick to remove any trapped air bubbles, and add more liquid, if necessary.

Wipe the rims, apply the lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the canner, and cool completely. Check the seals and store. Makes 4 pints.

No comments: