August 24, 2016

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Levian is apparently a famous bakery in some podunk place called New York City. I have high hopes to visit NYC to see all the important things like the September 11 memorial, Ellis Island, the Statute of Liberty, Central Park and such and taste many of the delicious things as well that I see all these food bloggers praise. But, I have extremely low hopes for the crowds and masses of people and creepy crawlies that I get thinking about all those people.

I'd rather be able to experience all those things without thousands of my closest strangers surrounding me. Thankfully, with this recipe from Bake at 350, I got to do exactly that with these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies that are based off Levian's famous cookies.

These cookies are huge ... 6 ounces of dough, which is I believe twice as large as the other ridiculously large cookies I've made. It's gotten to the point that I'm not sure I know what a normal-size cookie looks like, and I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed when I remember.

These cookies are almost like a cakey brownie in some sense for texture. They're not overly chewy or crispy edges, but somehow they are perfect for themselves. The flavor is rich chocolate and delicious. I shall make these again.

And great news if you're watching calories. There's only 8 cookies in a batch. That's not enough to over-indulge, right? Just ignore the fact that each cookie is about the size of 6 normal cookies. 

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
14 Tbsp. butter, cold and cut into chunks
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
10-ounce package peanut butter chips
1 cup peanut butter-filled chips (or more peanut butter chips)
 
Whisk the flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
 
Cream the butter with the sugars until combined and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. In three additions, add the flour mixture, just until combined. Stir in the chips.
 
Pressing the dough together, measuring out 6-ounce portions. (You'll have one that is around 4 ounces.) Place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet. Break each portion in half, pressing the smooth sides together well and leaving the rough edges exposed. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze for 1-2 hours.
 
Place one oven rack in the center of the oven and one on the bottom rack. Put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack. Line another sheet with parchment. Preheat oven to 375ºF. 

Place 4 cookies on the lined cookie sheet. Place the cookies on the center rack, while pouring a cup of ice on the cookie sheet on the bottom rack. Quickly close the door to trap the steam.

Bake the cookies for 19-22 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies feel done, but the insides are still soft. Remove from the oven, and place on a wire cooling rack to cool. (The smaller cookie can bake for 17-19 minutes.)

Serve warm. For room temperature cookies, heat in the microwave for 10 seconds, if desired. Makes 8 substantial cookies.

Proof of deliciousness.

No comments: