November 18, 2015

Pumpkin Bread

When I came across this recipe from Yammie's Noshery, I immediately bookmarked it because it's nearly hunting season in Wisconsin. And hunting season has become synonymous with me baking all sorts of goodies for my family and our out-of-state friends who join us for the week. And one of those friends has gluten intolerance, which means I always need a few tasty treats for him since he can't partake in a portion of what I prepare.

Hence this bread, which said it worked equally well with flour or rice flour. And I had a bag of rice flour on hand, so I made two loaves with my toddler. It was extremely easy to make a double batch in separate bowls to keep one gluten free. Both baked up beautifully, and we cannot wait to dig into them. (My toddler has been repeatedly asking, but they're currently tucked in the freezer for safe keeping.)

Pumpkin Bread
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour (or rice flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. cloves

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a standard-size loaf pan with foil. Combine the pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla. Add the sugar, and mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Add to the wet ingredients, and mix until just combined. Pour into the loaf pan, and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool before removing from the pan. Peel off foil, and serve. Makes 1 loaf. (You can easily double it or convert it to one dozen muffins baked at 375ºF for 20 minutes.)

No comments: