April 22, 2014

Chocolate Mousse

Oh my. So simple. Two ingredients. So delicious. (I ate four of the five in one day. In my defense, my children slept horribly the previous night and napped poorly that day. My husband is lucky indeed I saved him one.)

These are rich enough that a small portion truly does satisfy when you're not eating away your stress. Top them with homemade whipped cream for a perfectly impressive dessert. You can fill 5 1/4-pint jars with one batch.

You can substitute other milk varieties if desired. I think this would be perfect with a peanut butter whipped topping, but Oh Ladycakes has many ideas beyond just her basic recipe. I've shared my shortcut method below, but her post has a more traditional approach.


Chocolate Mousse
6 oz. dark chocolate
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk

Have your 1/4-pint jars or other small bowls ready before you start as you will need to work quickly. Melt the chocolate on medium heat in the microwave, stirring often until just melted. Place bowl on top of ice packs to chill chocolate while adding the almond milk. Beat with a hand mixer on medium-low speed for 3 to 5 minutes. The mixture will be very bubbly, and then fine lines will start to appear. Once the bubbles diminish and all you see are lines, mix for 10 more seconds. Pour mousse into jars, and tap to remove any trapped air bubbles. Chill at least 2 hours until set. Mousse will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Makes 5 portions.

No comments: