September 12, 2011

Basil Jelly

It's amazing what waiting for Baby translates to in the kitchen. It seems like I'm trying to convert all my eagerness for Baby into culinary canning creations. Tonight's adventure was Basil Jelly.

Yes, I realize Basil Jelly sounds odd. However, our basil did well with the "survival of the fittest" aspect of our garden. There's no way we'll use it all fresh, dried basil loses flavor and we certainly don't have room to freeze all our basil. (Bread takes up way too much freezer space.) Plus, I'm on a canning kick, so I settled on a Basil Jelly recipe. It turned out quite well ...all 7 1/2 pints of my double batch.


Basil Jelly
4 cups water
2 cups packed basil leaves
1 package powdered pectin
5 cups sugar

Combine water and basil in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover and let stand 10 minutes. Strain out basil leaves, reserving water. Combine 2 2/3 cups of water with the pectin. Return to a rolling boil, and add sugar. Bring to a rolling boil for one minute, stirring constantly. 

Remove from heat. Skim foam. Pack jelly into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Boil in a hot water bath 15 minutes.

No comments: