June 6, 2011

Pomegranate Ice Cream

The morale of this posting is: If at first you believe you fail, wait until the next day.

I thought pomegranate ice cream would be the perfect accompaniment for my upcoming Tequila Sunrise cupcakes. After searching online, I decided to try a recipe posted on www.AllRecipes.com for Creamy Pomegranate Ice Cream. I was quite disappointed after 40 minutes of churning that my ice cream was not freezing at all. (Granted, it was 74 degrees in the house and 80+ degrees outside.) So, I tossed the ice cream in the freezer and decided to postpone my cupcake project another day.

I was quite surprised to pull the ice cream out of the freezer to discover perfectly smooth, scoop-able ice cream. Normally my homemade ice cream tastes delicious and is perfect the first time but is incredibly hard thereafter. My husband declared this to be the best ice cream I've made. (Of course, I've only made homemade ice cream a handful of times, but I'll take the compliments I can get.)

Pomegranate Ice Cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 cup pomegranate juice concentrate (the recipe called for juice, but I used concentrate for more intense flavor)
1 tsp. vanilla
A pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients together, and freeze according to your ice cream maker's manufacturer's instructions. I didn't bother to refresh my memory with instructions and churned it using my KitchenAid for approximately 40 minutes on speed 2. Worked wonderfully after a night in the freezer.

No comments: