September 10, 2008

Zucchini Muffins

I am always willing to take whatever produce is offered to me, even if it's not something I normally eat. When I had the opportunity to get a zucchini, I decided to try a new recipe. The results were OK, but I would classify this as not bad but fantastic. It's probably not going to be a repeat offender in my recipe box.

Zucchini Muffins
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly grease 12 muffin tins or line with muffin papers. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.

In separate bowl, combine zucchini, buttermilk, oil, egg whites and vanilla. Stir this mixture into dry ingredients until just blended, about 25 strokes.

Spoon batter into muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Cool one minute and then remove from tins and transfer to wire racks to cool completely or serve immediately warm. Store leftover muffins in the refrigerator or freeze to maintain freshness.

No comments: