January 27, 2008

English Muffins

Yesterday I tackled another recipe from my wish list, which is the never-ending litany of recipes I want to create, eat and evaluate. I found a recipe for English Muffins, in my mother's bread book. They surprisingly look like store-bought ones with a bit more character (in a good way). I'm not sure I'll ever buy English Muffins again since these are fun to make.

English Muffins

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup hot water
3 Tbsp. soft butter
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup non-fat dry milk
5 1/2 cups flour
1 egg, room temperature
1 Tbsp. cornmeal

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Blend hot water, butter, sugar, salt, milk and 3 cups flour. Add yeast, and beat on medium 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Stir in remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time by hand.

Knead dough with dough hook 6 minutes. Let rise 1 hour. Punch down, knead 30 seconds and let rest 10 minutes.


Sprinkle work surface with cornmeal. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 3-inch rounds. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake on hot griddle (400°F) 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat (250°F) and bake 6 minutes on each side. Cool on metal rack.

Makes approximately 2 dozen.


No comments: