June 1, 2012

Vanilla Rhubarb Tea Jam

This recipe also hails from Food in Jars. My family always had rhubarb growing along our house during my childhood. However, I never remember us eating rhubarb. Rhubarb has poked its way into my kitchen due to the generosity of co-workers and that nagging voice in my head that always makes me accept free produce.

This jam is quite tasty, with a touch of vanilla and added depth from the tea. I think this jam could convert non-rhubarb fans, providing you can convince them to taste the slightly green jam.


Vanilla Rhubarb Tea Jam
8 cups rhubarb, chopped
4 cups sugar
1 cup double-strength brewed tea
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch of salt
1 3-oz. package liquid pectin

Combine rhubarb, sugar and tea together in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, and add vanilla bean and seeds, lemon juice and salt. Let the mixture bubbly gently (or leap out of the pot to scald you) for 15 to 20 minutes until the rhubarb breaks down. Add the pectin, and bring to a full boil, stirring often. Boil 3 to 4 minutes or until jam is nearly set.

Pour jam into sterilized jars, and seal with sterilized rings. Process in a hot water bath 10 minutes. Makes 3 1/2 to 4 pints.

No comments: