June 1, 2012

Rhubarb Syrup

I eagerly flipped through my recent arrival Food in Jars. This author's blog really broadened my preserving horizons and served as inspiration for many jars in our cupboard. Naturally, when she published her first book, it was pre-ordered from Amazon.

This Rhubarb Syrup is one of three recipes I made from the book today. Yes, I made three recipes in one day. I will not continue to can at this crazy pace, but:
  1. 1. It's a new book. It just begged me to experiment.
  2. 2. My in-laws had rhubarb. I hate to let anything go to waste. I feel obligated to use produce.
  3. 3. I needed to distract myself today rather than dwelling on the passing of my husband's saintly grandmother.
So, I made this easy Rhubarb Syrup. I think it would be delicious stirred into water for a refreshing twist or drizzled onto baked goods. I've heard it's delicious drizzled on French toast, pancakes or waffles. I made just one tweak to the recipe.


Rhubarb Syrup
4 cups rhubarb, coarsely chopped
3 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 drops red food coloring

Combine rhubarb and water over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. simmer 15 to 20 minutes until the rhubarb is falling apart and easily smashed by a spoon. Set up a mesh strainer over a bowl, and pour rhubarb mixture into the strainer. Let the rhubarb drain itself without you pressing any liquid out of the rhubarb.

Once the liquid has drained, return the liquid to the pot. Add the sugar and red food color (if desired). Bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat, and skim any foam from the top. I actually used paper napkins to blot up the little foam I had.

Pour syrup into sterilized jars, and seal with sterilized rings. Process in a hot water bath 10 minutes. Makes approximately 2 1/2 pints.

No comments: